Monday, October 7, 2013

A drop of Scotch..

I gave Scottish Dancing a go & it was fun!!

I have a friend; C, who attends the Scottish Dancing club in South Dunedin, and since she knew I'd been learning how to swing (she made the assumption, that I must like dancing.. or be okay at it.. Haha!) and thus since it was my holidays and I had the time, she invited me along to attend her Monday evening lessons with her.

So along I went, there were about 9-10 people present, with only three of them being males. My friend and I were the youngest by far, however despite what could have been awkward socially due to the age range, I was made to feel welcome & was introduced to the other members present.

The teacher tried to teach me some basic steps.. alas.. what is with me and coordinating my feet..?!!! Anyways, despite only just grasping what my feet were supposed to do, I still could participate in most of the dancers, as I focused on learning the sequence of the dance, rather than what my feet were supposed to be doing (apart from moving to the correct place) for the dance!

For those of you that are reading this and are new to Scottish Country Dancing, I'll give a quick explanation on how it works. In Scottish Dancing, you dance as a couple (normally Male & female, however in this case, due to the lack of males, the females would wear a band across their chest, which signified that they were the male in this case) in a group. So there is normally 4- 8 groups of couples, meaning that you don't just dance solely with your dance partner, you mix & mingle with the other couples too -& this element I find social-able and fun!! To read more: Scottish Country Dancing. 
I also felt like I was having a good work-out, doing all the sequences soon made me out of breath! But like I've mentioned earlier- i'd far rather be doing this, then going to the gym! 

Okay, the other reasons to participate in Scottish Dancing are.. it's so affordable- I mean $2 for 2 hours of Dancing.. not bad eh?!! Far better then a visit to the gym! Also, it's a dance that can be adapted for all age groups, if you are older, you can play the music slower, walk slower (& not worry so much about the foot work, I was learning when I attending) thus it's a form of dance that allows people of all ages to engage in & enjoy!! A great combination I think!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment