Thursday, March 21, 2013

Triple Step trip ups..

Yep.. tonight.. Ugh..!! Tonight my focus, just wasn't off to a good start (Yes, one needs a certain level of cognitive function to participate in Swing Dancing) & as there was some lack  of clarity in my mind, what Triple steps &  what the beats were.. and the rhythm to feet connection was malfunctioning... this all meant that I was dancing in a semi-lost and bewilder state.. & thus confused every partner I danced with! Oops!


So the other participants are definitely not here to dance with me.. (that much is certain!) but why do they come..? Do they seek Occupational Satisfaction..?   This is the ability to engage in meaningful and purposeful activity or as defined by Christiansen and Townsend, (2010) as “contentment with occupations” (p. 421). Many have Girlfriends who have brought them along (in need of a partner)  who if not dragged here, had decided that it would be a fun thing to do together. Others just wanted to learn some form of dance not necessarily any particular one & swing worked out for them. Multiple reasons!! Hopefully dancing will provide occupational satisfaction, however I can't but think that dancing with me,especially tonight, is probably causing occupational frustration more than anything else!! Anyways, I cant get over how majority of the couples look like each other.. like they are so similar! There's the Hippy styled couple, the two short brunettes,  the short and tall blonde pairs, the curly red- haired both sporting glasses pair... Okay just got a little bit side tracked there...

Anyways back on to the swing of things (yes cheesy, I know!). For some, swing definitely provides occupational satisfaction, I mean just take my flatmate S for an instance.. she totally loves it!! You should have seen how excited she was, when I said I'd give Swing a try!! She regularly goes out on social nights, to get some dancing in regularly, finds bands that are playing, goes along to workshops, and has many friends in the dance scene.. the list goes on & on!!

I have to admit that it is quite handy having a flatmate that does do swing, cos this means that once home I can get her to go over (and over, and over, and over..  etc) the moves we learnt during our weekly lessons. So thus at home in the lounge or kitchen floor (smoother surface) we practice the basics of the promenade.. since I seemed to have lost this first & basic step and as a subsequence.. all other steps and moves, falter and fail..

Well I guess there's always next week eh..? 





 Occupational Satisfaction Picture: http://www.learn2dance4fun.com/default.aspx
One day.. I may just look like this.. one day.. :)




References:


Christensen, C., & Townsend, E. (Eds.), (2010). An introduction to occupation: The art and science of living. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment