Thursday, March 7, 2013

First Lesson.. Gulp! :S

So I headed along to my first lesson at Clubs & Socs down in Albany Street, Dunedin, with my flatmate S, who has decided to support me on this endeavour.. I think  she's more excited about me learning than I am..



First lesson: about 16 people, mostly all in partners.. Slightly more females than men. This means that rotation will occur so that to mix us up abit.. learn from multiple people instead of just one.. So I guess it will become social, depending on my ability to dance & chat at the same.. although my multitasking skills are strained at the best of times! 

 





Check out the History of the Charleston Here: http://swinginsandiego.com/#/charleston/4549253630

  What I've Learnt.. Charleston move.. this took all my concentration to remember the sequencing.. Crikey! I now realise how long it's been since I've had to learn something new, something that is a physical motor skill (not just another new piece of Knowledge)  &  doing this is a reminder how difficult it can be to learn (probably why I've still yet to master snow boarding..! ;) ).
There was mentions of hand placement: guys (Leads) are always to the left & ladies to the right (follows) with the follow placing her hand on his right shoulder, both elbows touching & the guy places his hand on her lower back. Then there is pulse.. pretty much bobbing up & down, I've seen my flatmate do this before & it now makes sense way she does so!  & Triple step.. 3 steps to two beats-my head & definitely my feet didn't grasp this aspect.. so once class was over.. i'll  have to investigate it further and practice. Class did go so quickly though, that before I knew it it was 10mins till the finish & that was that! Charleston steps & sequence sorted.. pulse & triple steps yet to be sorted..


Swing is generally 6 or 8 counts..  often with triple beats.. meaning 3 steps for 2 beats (Ugh!). So for an 8 count song it's generally.. beat beat trip-le beat, beat beat trip-le beat..  Confused??! Well so was I! 

Maybe this guy here can explain it better-than I can: 



I meanwhile while I try & dance I'll be whispering to myself: step, step tri-ple step, step step Tri-ple step.. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment